Resources for New Moms
Keeping Baby Safe While Sleeping
It’s important to have a safe sleep space for your baby to reduce the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
Here are some tips to help keep your baby sleeping safely:
- Place your baby on his or her back for all sleep times—naps and at night.
- Use a firm mattress with a tight-fitting crib sheet in a crib that meets current safety standards.
- Remove pillows, quilts, comforters, crib bumpers, stuffed toys, and other soft products from the crib.
- Consider using a sleep sack, which zips around your baby, as an alternative to blankets, with no other covering.
- Make sure your baby’s head remains uncovered during sleep.
- Do not place baby on a waterbed, sofa, soft mattress, pillow or other soft surface to sleep.