Learn More About Your Pregnancy
Extra Calories During Pregnancy
How many extra calories per day do I need during pregnancy?
If you were at a normal weight before pregnancy, you need an average of 300 extra calories per day to help your baby grow and keep you healthy during pregnancy.
If you are a normal weight before pregnancy, you need only an average of 300 extra calories per day to help baby grow and keep you healthy during pregnancy.
Here are some snack ideas that are about 300 calories:
- 1 cup nonfat yogurt with 1/2 cup low-fat granola and 1 piece (or ½ cup) of fruit.
- A peanut butter and jelly sandwich (1 ½ tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 teaspoons of jelly).
- 1 cup of beans and ½ cup of rice.
- 1 oz. (about ¼ cup or 28 nuts) whole plain almonds, 1 medium apple, and 1 small square of dark chocolate.
- 3 hard–boiled eggs.
- 2 ¾ cups of grapes.
- 2 ½ slices of cheddar cheese.
- 1 cup of broccoli with ¼ cup of ranch dressing.
- 1 whole–grain pita bread with 4 tablespoons hummus.
- A small bag of banana chips.
- One portion of potato wedges. with 2 tbsp sour cream dip.
- One serving of tortilla chips with 1. heaping tablespoon of guacamole.
According to MedlinePlus, for most normal-weight pregnant women, the right amount of calories is: About 1,800 calories per day during the first trimester. About 2,200 calories per day during the second trimester. About 2,400 calories per day during the third trimester.