Learn More About Your Pregnancy
Seat Belts During Pregnancy
There are nearly 170,000 car crashes involving pregnant women every year. It’s important for moms in all stages of pregnancy to always wear seat belts when traveling in a car.
Tips for wearing seatbelts during pregnancy:
- Always wear both the lap and shoulder belt.
- Buckle the lap strap under your belly and over your hips.
- Never place the lap belt across your belly.
- Rest the shoulder belt between your breasts and off to the side of your belly.
- Never place the shoulder belt under your arm.
- If possible, adjust the shoulder belt height to fit you correctly.
- Make sure the seat belt fits snugly.
Driving safety tips:
- Driving can be tiring for anyone. Try to drive no more than 5-6 hours per day.
- Never turn off the airbags if your car has them. Instead, tilt your seat back and move it as far as possible from the steering wheel.
- If you are in a crash, get treatment right away to protect yourself and your baby.